[NCLUG] Question about IP forwarding

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Apr 26 15:56:13 MDT 2010

Marcio Luis Teixeira wrote:
> Oh, yeah, a picture would be good. I didn't know how to include one,
> but I guess ASCII would work. Hope this turns out ok:

That came through perfectly!  An excellent representation!

> I tried the "ping -v 192.168.234.100" on the workstation, and I saw
> nothing different. What am I supposed to be seeing if there is an
> ICMP redirect going on?

It has been so long that I don't remember.  But regardless tcpdump
would be able to catch it if one is returned.

Note that there are security ramifications with redirects.  Probably
okay on a private network machine behind a firewall on a friendly
network.  But definitely not on the hostile Internet.  Therefore it
might be disallowed by default.

I assume you have something keeping you from adding it as a static
route on all of the workstation clients?

Too bad dhcp doesn't have good support for adding routes.  Sigh.

Bob