[NCLUG] Linux on laptop - can I buy any laptop I want, or do I still need to check for hardware compatibility?

Kasey Erickson kasey.erickson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 12:09:00 MDT 2010

The wifi chipset is the only part I worry about, now days.  In my
experience Intel wifi is best supported.  I haven't found one that
doesn't work well.

Across all of their offerings Broadcomm isn't as supported as Intel.
Some are solid, others have weird issues under load.

I've had bad luck with Atheros, very flaky with the latest kernels.  YMMV.

> ... Any suggestions as to how to check
> quickly and efficiently so as to not delay bidding?

The only way to know is to run on real hardware.  Easiest that way is
to boot live CD the latest Ubuntu 64 bit, 10.04 LTS, install all the
proprietary drivers, use the wifi, run glx-gears etc.

Kasey