[NCLUG] Perplexing wireless issue - Voodoo accepted

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Feb 8 17:22:35 MST 2010

Paul Hummer wrote:
> When I came back, NetworkManager was spinning trying to find the network.

I don't know if this will help or not.  At the least I will comiserate
with you.  Periodically I find that network-manager just stops
connecting to networks for me.  I have not figured out why.  It
doesn't matter if they are open, wep, wpa or whatever.  When it gets
into a mood it just spins and refuses to connect to anything, even a
completely open node.  It most often gets into this mode when it tries
to connect to a too-far-away node and fails the connection.  It is
typically at those times that it then locks into the failure mode.

In my case I find that to get things going again I must restart
network-manager.  I don't know if both of these are needed but I
usually restart both network-manager and network-manager-dispatcher.
After having done that it will usually connect.  But then the relief
is usually short lived as once it triggers this problem it usually
continues to trigger it again within a short time.  This continues
until I actually log out of X11 and log back in again so that it is
started up from the window manager.  So apparently restarting it
manually outside of the window manager isn't really a cure.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Bob