[NCLUG] Looking for co-location space

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Thu Jun 3 17:25:03 MDT 2010

On Thursday, June 03, 2010 05:10:49 pm Sean Rees wrote:
> I had pretty good luck with Red Rocks Data Center
> (www.redrocksdatacenter.com) out in Morrison. It's out of the way (really
> out of the way), but I only had to visit about once per year.

Interesting, I know that site. It's not a "former NASA Uplink site" as their web site states, though much of the gear
there once did belong to NASA, in particular the 11 meter antenna, that may be what confused them.

In fact, that facility was built with the intention of its being an uplink for the ill-starred Penthouse Channel back in
the 80s. That channel never got off the ground. The site was chosen to take advantage of the foothills to shield it from TI
(terrestrial interference) from Denver.

I spent many nights at that site uplinking Nuggets games and other Denver events.

But the facility is built to MIL specs, and would probably survive a direct hit. I don't think even BP could find a way to
wreck it.

You're right that it's a tad out of the way, but it's a solid site with good infrastructure, backup power and everything
else you might want.

If you do go there watch out for snakes, there are a lot of rattlers, one of my co-workers had his dog get bit, we had to
take it to a vet in Morrison (after an anti-venom shot, the dog did survive).