[NCLUG] Home Linux experience on a resume

Rob Elsner thatsnotright at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 19:41:43 MDT 2010

I've interviewed candidates and the best advice is to list what useful
things you've done.  If you are looking for a sysadmin type job, list
projects you've tinkered with and how they would apply to the enterprise
(setup samba, for instance).  If the packages you did are part of a
repository list them.  As long as you keep it realistic, everything you list
gets through buzzword filters to those who will actually care.

Also, it might be helpful to have a small tidbit about why you chose that
distro.  Someone who picks ubuntu because it installs easily is less useful
than someone who picks apt over traditional rpms due to dependency
struggles.  Or vice-versa I'm not advocating.

A cover letter can do good things as well, to clarify things on a resume as
they relate to a specific job.

And don't be afraid to say "I'm not sure" because the majority of candidates
who list "expert" on a skill is very high against those who truly are.  I've
interviewed a lot of java experts who can't talk about garbage collection or
list things they dislike about java.  It says a lot if you can say "I like X
but really dislike 6 because of..."

Rob

On Mar 22, 2010 6:53 PM, "Matt Kassawara" <mkassawara at gmail.com> wrote:

I wrote a section before employment called "technical summary" that
lists useful skills without an origin.