[NCLUG] Home Linux experience on a resume

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Mon Mar 22 19:37:38 MDT 2010

On Monday 22 March 2010 06:44:43 pm Brendan Long wrote:
> Hi, I'm not sure if this is really the best place to ask, but I figured
> people post jobs on here on all the time, so someone is bound to have an
> idea. The thing is, I've been using Linux exclusively at home for a
> couple years, along with running a personal site with a VPS. I just
> don't know how to put that on a resume, since it's not professional
> experience. Any ideas?
>
> -Brendan Long
>
> PS - This isn't "I put Ubuntu in and hit install" experience, I run
> Arch, have written several packages for the AUR, and I use the terminal
> constantly.

Just some random thoughts.

I'd think any contributions to Open Source projects should be mentioned, many
companies are becoming aware of OSS and the people who work on it.

I know one fellow who got hired on the strength of his having some code in the
kernel, I'm not saying you have that to mention, but I think it points out
that many people doing hiring are Linux-aware.

Mention what Linux distributions you are familiar with, finding a company that
specifically uses what you use at home is unlikely.

Certainly anything related to what your potential employer does will help,
things like database experience, what languages you are familiar with (even
shell scripting, companies looking for sysadmins look for that).

Mention what hardware you are familiar with.

With most of these things, if you are specific enough they may not care where
you learned it.

Think about what someone would have to say to you to convince you they know
what they are talking about, put yourself in the hiring party position and
think what you would want to hear or see from an applicant.

Offer to do some work on spec perhaps, or show examples of any code you have
written.

If you have been to any seminars or conferences, mention that.

Wear a Linux T-Shirt to the interview (Just Kidding).