[NCLUG] Teaching dhclient to lie.

John Gilmore j.arthur.gilmore at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 18:17:30 MDT 2010

Since it's not my router, I'm not going to complain to loudly. It's actually
OpenWRT-compatible, and it's completely open. Even the admin password is
"admin". But the standard firmware doesn't support assigning ip's by MAC.

In any case, this solution works and is implemented. And it's a fairly
simple solution, really. I could see it not working on for all wireless
routers (some may have security measures which refuse packets with an
address they didn't assign) but it works on this one. But will renewing an
address still work "properly"? Will some common application that I haven't
tried yet but my wife will want to use every day barf?

In other news ati/fglrx are giving me fits. I finally found an old version
of fglrx that supports my card (support was dropped in versions after 9.2)
but it fought with compiz and screensavers. So I'm reverting to the
open-source "radeon" driver. But it's slow as crap (<5 minutes to display
the screen?), and crashing, bad artifacts, etc. Must have blobs of fglrx
left somewhere. Hope I don't have to reinstall...