[NCLUG] Teaching dhclient to lie.

Brian Wood bwood at beww.org
Fri Oct 8 18:30:13 MDT 2010

On Friday, October 08, 2010 06:17:30 pm John Gilmore wrote:
> Since it's not my router, I'm not going to complain to loudly. It's
> actually OpenWRT-compatible, and it's completely open. Even the admin
> password is "admin". But the standard firmware doesn't support assigning
> ip's by MAC.

Odd, can you get a shell? You should be able to put something like:

hardware ethernet 00:02:c3:d0:e5:83;33;
fixed-address 40.179.23.155;

into /etc/dhcpd.conf  (note NOT /etc/dhcp.conf)  (I've made that mistake enough times)

A wide open router is asking for trouble, but I'm sure you know that.

> In any case, this solution works and is implemented. And it's a fairly
> simple solution, really. I could see it not working on for all wireless
> routers (some may have security measures which refuse packets with an
> address they didn't assign) but it works on this one. But will renewing an
> address still work "properly"? Will some common application that I haven't
> tried yet but my wife will want to use every day barf?

Not sure, check your leases file to see if everything looks OK.

> In other news ati/fglrx are giving me fits. I finally found an old version
> of fglrx that supports my card (support was dropped in versions after 9.2)
> but it fought with compiz and screensavers. So I'm reverting to the
> open-source "radeon" driver. But it's slow as crap (<5 minutes to display
> the screen?), and crashing, bad artifacts, etc. Must have blobs of fglrx
> left somewhere. Hope I don't have to reinstall...

That's why I use nothing but nVidia cards any more :-)