[NCLUG] In search of a new backup solution

grant at amadensor.com grant at amadensor.com
Tue Jan 18 11:31:50 MST 2011

I use a simple shell script and rsync to do my backups.

I take care of the issue of the machine being down at backup time
differently.   It checks every so often to see if a backup is needed.  It
looks at the age of a trigger file.   If it is over 24 hours, it touches
the file and starts the backup.  If the file is missing, it starts
immediately.   If it has any errors during the backup, it removes the
file.

Result:
1)  Backup happens roughly every 24 hours (actually a little more, 24
hours, plus the frequency of the cron script)
2)  On demand backup is one rm command away.

You may also want to look at anacron.   It is like cron, but designed for
machines not always on.