[NCLUG] [Poll] VPS and web mangement hosting

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Fri Feb 17 18:43:25 MST 2012

Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> I am putting up a few polls on Linux ETC's site to get a feel for
> what folks might desire for VPS ("Virtual Private Servers") and web
> management hosting services.

I am disappointed because it would have been interesting to know how
much ram people desired, and how much disk they desired, bandwidth,
and so forth individually.  But instead the choices of ram and disk
and user accounts and number of databases and bandwidth are coupled
together in lockstep making the poll rather uninteresting.

There will be no way to tell if people are choosing an option based
upon ram needs or disk needs or something else.  For example if I vote
for an option for 15G of storage does that mean I really need 1.5G
ram?  Can anyone who needs 25 DBs fit within 25G of storage?  If
someone requires 15G of disk, which seems like a small amount to me in
these days of heavy graphics on web pages, then do they really need 25
DBs and 250 user account and 2500GB BW?  It would be better if those
were individually selectable.

But I am not the target market anyway since coupling email + web is
already a strange combination.

Bob