[NCLUG] [Poll] VPS and web mangement hosting

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Feb 18 11:51:08 MST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 06:43:25PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> > I am putting up a few polls on Linux ETC's site to get a feel for
> > what folks might desire for VPS ("Virtual Private Servers") and web
> > management hosting services.
>
> I am disappointed because it would have been interesting to know how
> much ram people desired, and how much disk they desired, bandwidth,
> and so forth individually.  But instead the choices of ram and disk
> and user accounts and number of databases and bandwidth are coupled
> together in lockstep making the poll rather uninteresting.
>
> There will be no way to tell if people are choosing an option based
> upon ram needs or disk needs or something else.  For example if I vote
> for an option for 15G of storage does that mean I really need 1.5G
> ram?  Can anyone who needs 25 DBs fit within 25G of storage?  If
> someone requires 15G of disk, which seems like a small amount to me in
> these days of heavy graphics on web pages, then do they really need 25
> DBs and 250 user account and 2500GB BW?  It would be better if those
> were individually selectable.

There's a *lot* of potential flexibility lacking from this poll -- or,
rather, what amounts to a series of one-question polls.  I could bring up
tons of things I'd like to see different, but the impression I get is
that the company is considering certain offerings and prices for them,
and is just testing how people like these proposed offerings relative to
each other rather than trying to develop the forms of the basic offerings
themselves.

> But I am not the target market anyway since coupling email + web is
> already a strange combination.

The thing I find most odd is how tightly bound the numbers for these
things seem when discussing virtual private server hosting, and not that
they're combined in one offering.