[NCLUG] Fedora16-X86_64=LXDE

Ben West mrgenixus at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 09:26:15 MST 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Kerry Miller <n0wiq at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> Observations:
>
> 1.  GNOME 2.x
> I could start a file manager application (nautilus) which presented a
> GUI interface.  With this GUI I could display an input line that I could
> type: sftp://user@host, into.  This would place an ICON on the GNOME
> desktop and display the files in the user directory of the host machine.
> Now: I could one of two operations:
> I could do a right click on the ICON and be presented with a choice of
> UNMOUNT which would remove the ICON and set the file manager to looking
> at the directory mycomputer.
> Or:
> I could access the drop down menu Go and have the choice of My Computer
> and see a list of files that included the remote file system that I had
> just accessed and right click on that file and be presented with a menu
> that offered a choice of UNMOUNT.
>
> 2.  LXDE
> I can start a file manager (PCManFM) which presents a GUI interface.
> Again I can display an input line that I can type: sftp://user@host and
> see a display of the remote files of the remote file system.  But no
> ICON is placed on the desk top and when I list My Computer and see the
> remote file system entry and right click on the file I don't get an
> UNMOUNT choice.
>
> I do know that if I open a terminal window and type: ssh user at host I am
> using a remote login to the remote host and when I do a ls I am using
> the remote host command line.  But I don't know what the file managers
> are actually doing out side that it appears the remote file system is
> mounted in a directory My Computer.
>
> --
> Kerry N0WIQ
> My web site URL is:
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/n0wiq

Nautilus hands off to Gnome Virtual Filesytem; it does a mount of a remote
filesystem. It uses FUSE to do this. Technically, anything else can access
that mount via ~/.gvfs; previously, it held the mountpoint away from the
filesystem.  PacManFM doesn't seem to use any of these facilities, and
doesn't seem to support unmount: odds are it's basically holding open an
ssh session and transferring files over it, but isn't doing a real mount;
 what is Actually happening is probably less important than what seems to
be happening, in this case.  If the filesystem WERE mounted, however, it
would show up in mtab, which you can access via mount: a bare invocation
reads and formats from mtab.