[NCLUG] Fedora16-X86_64=LXDE

Kerry Miller n0wiq at comcast.net
Sat Feb 18 06:51:35 MST 2012

Hi Group,

Observations:

1.  GNOME 2.x
I could start a file manager application (nautilus) which presented a
GUI interface.  With this GUI I could display an input line that I could
type: sftp://user@host, into.  This would place an ICON on the GNOME
desktop and display the files in the user directory of the host machine.
Now: I could one of two operations:
I could do a right click on the ICON and be presented with a choice of
UNMOUNT which would remove the ICON and set the file manager to looking
at the directory mycomputer.
Or:
I could access the drop down menu Go and have the choice of My Computer
and see a list of files that included the remote file system that I had
just accessed and right click on that file and be presented with a menu
that offered a choice of UNMOUNT.

2.  LXDE
I can start a file manager (PCManFM) which presents a GUI interface.
Again I can display an input line that I can type: sftp://user@host and
see a display of the remote files of the remote file system.  But no
ICON is placed on the desk top and when I list My Computer and see the
remote file system entry and right click on the file I don't get an
UNMOUNT choice.

I do know that if I open a terminal window and type: ssh user at host I am
using a remote login to the remote host and when I do a ls I am using
the remote host command line.  But I don't know what the file managers
are actually doing out side that it appears the remote file system is
mounted in a directory My Computer.

--
Kerry N0WIQ
My web site URL is: