[NCLUG] [Poll] VPS and web mangement hosting

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Feb 19 15:30:51 MST 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 03:10:56PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> The biggest culprit is Apache.  You need to do the math: I want to be able
> to handle X concurrent connections and each Apache instance uses YMB of
> RAM, so X*Y is how much memory I need to handle that load.  Simple math,
> but most people don't do it until it's too late.  :-)

This is one reason why, as I approach circumstances where I'll have the
option of selecting something other than Apache, I'm evaluating
lighter-weight webserver software that won't consume large quantities of
RAM.

Obviously, ongoing resource usage profiling is a must for production
deployment, because useful optimization depends on knowing what to
optimize based on real-world statistics for one's own particular use case
-- as you probably know better than most of us (me included).