[NCLUG] [Poll] VPS and web mangement hosting

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Feb 19 16:15:02 MST 2012

On 02/19/2012 03:30 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
> option of selecting something other than Apache, I'm evaluating
> lighter-weight webserver software that won't consume large quantities of
> RAM.

To be fair, most of that memory consumption is due to applications running
in Apache via PHP, mod_perl, or the like...  If you can use the threading
MPM, that can get crazy high concurrency, but you have to make sure that
code is designed for threading...

If you can either run multi-threaded, or keep your application memory usage
very small, Apache uses way less space.  The Apache for my personal page
uses 7 to 12MB each, but the main tummy.com site uses 13 to 18MB each...

One huge win is if you can keep any static resources isolated, and either
run them in their own instance or run them out of nginx or another web
server.  It's a shame for a static CSS or .jpg file to be sucking up 50MB
of RAM by being handled by the same web server that is running all your
website code in it...

But, that sort of change usually requires site redesign to achieve.

> Obviously, ongoing resource usage profiling is a must for production

Agreed, but it's also frequently overlooked...  You know the story...  :-)