[NCLUG] [Poll] VPS and web mangement hosting

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Feb 20 16:47:46 MST 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:56:55PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On 02/19/2012 04:37 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > could use a lot of disk space.  The sweet spot for me would be 1G of
> > ram and 40G of disk space.  That would force me into your highest
>
> Funny, that's half the RAM and the amount of disc in of our lowest tier.
>
> I kind of went back and forth on the disc space.  In general I've heard
> people saying, and thought myself, "disc space is cheap".  However, as
> Evelyn likes to say "Data is heavy", and the storage we use for our virtual
> hosting is not cheap, partially because it's fully replicated...
>
> So, when that guy came up to me at a conference and the first thing he said
> was "how cheap are your virtuals", I said "that's not what we do".  The
> question our ideal customers ask is: "How many little downtime do your
> virtuals experience in a year?"  :-)

On the other hand, if someone's on a budget, (s)he may just be checking
on whether it's even worth talking about downtime.  "How much downtime do
you experience in a year?"  "About seven seconds, on average."  "Ooh,
that's pretty good.  How much does it cost?"  "Our cheapest package is
$1000 per month."  "Uh, yeah . . . 'bye."