[NCLUG] [Poll] VPS and web mangement hosting

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Feb 23 10:52:29 MST 2012

On 02/20/2012 04:47 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
> that's pretty good.  How much does it cost?"  "Our cheapest package is
> $1000 per month."  "Uh, yeah . . . 'bye."

That's very true.  We have a lot of customers that come to us for Linux HA
clusters, because it's one of our specialities.  But they imagine it's
cheap and easy, when it really is not.  HA clusters are a lot more than
just a second machine, there's a lot of work that has to go into setting
them up, maintaining, and testing them.  But when you have a business need
for the availability, they are great.  It's just a business decision: if X
times Y is less than Z, don't do it.

But, on the other hand, stories I hear all too often are things like "My
VPS goes down once a week for a few hours" or "The instance just stops
responding and has to be dropped and restarted".

But people often get into the VPS, get it all set up, and then instead of
moving when they find it's not to their liking, they'll stick with the sunk
cost.  I've been there too, it's a hard one.  Puppet can help.  :-)