[NCLUG] 32 / 64 bit computers

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Thu Jun 7 15:06:58 MDT 2012

Kerry Miller wrote:
> I am thinking about learning C/C++.  I know the task would be a matter
> of practicing the syntax.  I also know there are a variety of rapid
> program developement tools and I don't wish to know the details of
> developing a Graphical user interface but I would like to use one to
> interface to a program I would like to develop.  What tools are out
> there that I might be able to use?

I know you are asking about C/C++ but I am going to suggest doing
something different.  I suggest that you avoid, especially, C++.  It
is a subtle language and not well suited for learning.  Even among
experts there is a lot of fighting about it.  However if you were to
learn C++ then I would learn C first and get a good grip of the
fundamentals there before moving on to C++.

Instead I suggest that you pick a well supported interpreted language
to learn.  There is a lot of Python expertise in the area.  I think
that you would do much better if you were to learn Python and take
advantage of the local talent.  I think you could develop a Python
program to accomplish any task that you wanted to accomplish with it.

And by the way...  Your subject says "32 / 64 bit computers" but this
choice of language has nothing to do with any difference there.

Bob