[NCLUG] Hard drive recovery

F.L. Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Mon Jun 18 22:01:31 MDT 2012

One trick that may work is to hard freeze the drive.  Seriously, seal it in
a ziplock bag and put it in the deep freeze overnight and really cold soak
it.  Then hook it up externally.  It's a 50/50 crapshoot, but I've recovered
95-100% of data from half of the drives I've done this with.  One drive gave
me five minutes while warming for each of six freeze cycles, but I got 95%
of it back.  It would not run at all after the seventh freeze.  I have one
in the freezer right now with a bunch of pictures on it.  Agilent used some
kind of cold gas to do the same thing.  Micro failures in circuitry
reconnect at low temperatures due to shrinkage of the circuit boards.
Sometimes the drives need a flick of the wrist or a thump to get the
platters spinning or the heads to move.  Be set up to start copying right
away as you may only get one crack.

YMMV

Frank Whiteley