[NCLUG] Fedora 17 Gnome 3

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Nov 19 09:22:51 MST 2012

On 11/18/2012 12:33 PM, N0WIQ wrote:
> Hi  people,
>
> I have been trying to make Gnome 3 as usuful as I nwas doing with Gnome
> 2.  The big thing I notice is the lack of panels that I could drop quick
> launch buttons in a drawer and keep them organized with different
> drawers.  I need a Gnome 3 user to mention how to do all the things with
> gnome 3 that I had been using with gnome 2.  I have installed
> gnome-tweak-tool and that went a long way toward making me happy with
> Gnome 3 but something is still lacking.

Make sure you're running "Gnome" not "Gnome Classic" if you're offered
the option at the login screen.

Then run firefox (or perhaps Chrome) and visit
http://extensions.gnome.org/. Many of the extensions there bring back
useful functionality that Gnome 3 removed. I have the following
installed in Ubuntu Quantal (which has Gnome 3.6 available):

AlternateTab by gcampax
Alt Tab Mod: Always Show Thumbnails by dsboger
Applications Menu by gcampax
Move-Clock by Schubi
No Topleft Hot Corner by azuri
Remove Accessibility by lomegor
WWWDOTORG Quick Launch by swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Frippery Panel Favorites by rmyorston

The last one is most aligned with what you asked above. I don't think it
supports drawers, but does at least allow the icons to all show up
directly in the menu bar at the top of the screen. There may be an
extension that supports drawers; you'd have to search through them.

On a related topic: If anyone knows an extension that implements a "task
bar" (a la Gnome 2's bottom bar) that works in Gnome 3.6 that'd be very
useful - the extension I used in Gnome 3.4 doesn't work in Gnome 3.6,
and it's very confusing not being able to see/click all my minimized
windows:-(