[NCLUG] Upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS

Vincent Randal vtrandal at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 20:21:12 MST 2012

Hello everyone,

Anyone using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with default KDE?

I upgraded from 10.04 LTS and the menu bar at the top of the desktop is replaced with a column of icons on the left. My top icon "Dash home" allows me to search for things like terminal by name. My problem is I don't remember the name of the exact name of everything I use, but I am a good guesser. I don't really want the old menu back, but how do I get a more complete list of "everything" like Accessories, Places, and System? Typing accessories brings up nothing, but Places and System pulls up some stuff.

Also did you get to 12.04 via an upgrade like I did? During the upgrade I told it to "keep" rather "replace" config files. And I let it remove all obsolete packages. Did I make good choices or is it "your mileage may vary" depending on what I had installed? I have a backup. I can go back and do the upgrade differently if need be.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Vince Randal