[NCLUG] Fedora 17 Gnome 3

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Nov 22 12:33:50 MST 2012

On 11/19/2012 09:22 AM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 11/18/2012 12:33 PM, N0WIQ wrote:
>> Hi  people,
>>
>> I have been trying to make Gnome 3 as usuful as I nwas doing with Gnome
>> 2.  The big thing I notice is the lack of panels that I could drop quick
>> launch buttons in a drawer and keep them organized with different
>> drawers.  I need a Gnome 3 user to mention how to do all the things with
>> gnome 3 that I had been using with gnome 2.  I have installed
>> gnome-tweak-tool and that went a long way toward making me happy with
>> Gnome 3 but something is still lacking.
>
> Make sure you're running "Gnome" not "Gnome Classic" if you're offered
> the option at the login screen.
>
> Then run firefox (or perhaps Chrome) and visit
> http://extensions.gnome.org/. Many of the extensions there bring back
> useful functionality that Gnome 3 removed. I have the following
> installed in Ubuntu Quantal (which has Gnome 3.6 available):

The best news I've heard about UIs in a while:

https://lwn.net/Articles/526082/

The upshot is that there is/will-be standard/official extensions to
bring back all the useful features we've been relying on. Someone
responded to my Google+ post saying the extensions are in fact already
available, although I'm not yet sure how to track down which are the
official ones.