[NCLUG] Follow up

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Sun Oct 21 09:14:21 MDT 2012

On 10/21/2012 05:02 AM, Kerry Miller wrote:
> Hi People,

Kerry, a couple of points that will help you get the most out of mailing
lists:

1) When following up on a topic where there's already an existing email
thread, it's best to reply to a message in that thread rather than
starting a new thread with an entirely unrelated subject line. This will
allow people to associate your new message with the previous discussion.
Otherwise, the context of the new discussion won't be obvious.

2) Picking a good "subject" for the email is important. "Follow up" and
"Maybe" impart zero useful information about the content of the email.
For many people, the email subject is all they see unless they
specifically act to read the message. Hence, it's extremely important to
put something descriptive in the email subject, so people don't simply
ignore the messages.

>      In /etc/fstab
>          LABEL=Downloads   /mnt/downloads   ext4   defaults 0 0
>
>      On this partition I've created a directory structure something like this:
>          kerrym2:~$ ls -l /mnt/downloads
>          drwx------ 2 root    root    16384 Oct 16 14:46 lost+found
>          drwxr-xr-x 3 kerrym2 kerrym2  4096 Oct 16 15:10 Downloads
>
>      Then that user, kerrym2, can do this:
>          kerrym2:~$ ln -s /mnt/downloads/Downloads Downloads

I /think/ that's a quote of Bill Thorson's email. If so, it is customary
to prefix the quoted content with ">" rather than whitespace
indentation. Without doing so (and especially with no attribution),
people aren't going to have a clue that's a quote, and your email will
be extremely confusing to read. I notice that you're using Thunderbird -
I believe the use of a correct quote prefix is the default configuration
in Thunderbird; did you explicitly change it? Perhaps you're sending
HTML email (which is a no-no on mailing lists) and the list server is
stripping out the HTML leaving incorrect formatting?

Finally, some of your emails have simply been statements of your
thoughts, rather than asking questions. This doesn't seem that useful;
are you actually attempting to ask questions but not, or just thinking
out loud? Unless you ask specific questions, people won't know what to
answer.

> And the mounting of this volume could be done in the user set up file
> and the user has read write privileges to that partition or disk.  At
> least this is how I interpret what is explained.

I have no idea what a "user set up file" is.

With Bill's example, there should be no need to do anything
user-specific after the initial chown command (even after logout/login
or reboot); the filesystem should be mounted automatically at boot, and
the permissions stored permanently on disk.