[NCLUG] GNOME 3.x

Andrew Gilmore agilmore2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 12:39:46 MDT 2012

Mike said:

> The real underlying problem is that Gnome 3, and in particular,
> gnome-shell, has only really made to the alpha stage.  I wouldn't even
> call Gnome 3.4 a "beta" in the sense that it's anywhere near on par
> feature-wise with Gnome 2.x.  I mean, seriously, you can't even change
> your font preferences from System Settings.  The upcoming Gnome 3.6
> suffers from the same problem.  It's just not feature complete yet so I

don't even consider it a beta yet.

I'd agree with that. I got a VM of Fedora 17 somewhere remotely usable, but
it took me quite some time to get it set up.

I'm actually dreading moving my family's main computer to Fedora 17. I've
been holding on to 14 for far too long, but the culture shock and changes
to GNOME 3 are going to be difficult for my wife and kids to adapt to.

What exactly are you supposed to do to change tasks? With the minimize
button gone, I'm still alt-tabbing, but then I want *that* one of the three
terminal windows, so it is turned into a keyboard AND mouse movement, and
takes me significantly longer to move around. And I can't even move the
clock at all? or add app launchers to the top bar, or get a weather widget?
My kids will go into shortcut withdrawal, and the computer will fail a
critical system definition that we can make two clicks from the desktop to
get a weather forecast. :)

Andrew