[NCLUG] One more comment

Kerry Miller n0wiq at comcast.net
Thu Sep 27 09:55:03 MDT 2012

Hi NCLUG,

Having been using Red HAT Linux for many years.  I had gotten to Fedora
14 with GNOME 2.x by the time I quit earning a pay check.  I got a new
computer reciently and promply loaded it with Fedora 17 which came with
GNOME 3.x.  This was a shocking change for me.  I had a set of things I
was doing on GNOME -2.x that were not in the normal realm of email, web
browsing, word processing, spread sheet, ...  These were things that did
NOT fit normal use but to use efficiently needed a quick launch icon.
The easiest way on GNOME-2.x was to put the quick launch in a panel or
more specifically in a drawer on a panel.  When I hit GNOME-3.x all of a
sudden I didn't have a panel I could put drawers in or add quick launch
links into that had ICONS.  The quickest easiest way was to put a quick
launch link on the desk top for these applications.  To do this I load
"gnome-tweak-tool" and set the flag to let nautilus manage the desk top
so I could drag from the file manager various things I wanted quick
access to.  There were folders deep in the file system I wanted quick
access to, there were applications I loaded that I wanted quick access
to.  This where I come from, continuing to do some of the same things in
GNOME-3.x that I had been doing with GNOME-2.x.

--
Kerry N0WIQ
My web site URL is: