[NCLUG] IMAP and Postfix

Steve Wolf stevewolf6 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 14:14:52 MDT 2013

My postfix configuration is working well.  Now I want to move on to
IMAP.  I don't see a need for POP3 at this point, although it looks
like I get it for free when I implement IMAP.

What are your recommendations regarding cyrus, courier, or dovecot and
their interaction with postfix?  Looks like cyrus is the default for
Redhat/CentOS, but before configuring I'd like to know about the pros
and cons of these three.  Or is there another package I've missed?

My goal for this is a web-based mail client for the mail accounts on
my server, leaning towards roundcube.  I don't think I need remote
access to the IMAP service; it could probably live on loopback.  With
this configuration (roundcube running on the same server that has the
mailboxes) do I even need IMAP?

Regards,
Steve