[NCLUG] IMAP and Postfix

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Wed Apr 3 14:24:54 MDT 2013

Steve Wolf writes:
> What are your recommendations regarding cyrus, courier, or dovecot and
> their interaction with postfix?

At work ( riseup.net, email services provider ) we use postfix+dovecot,
after moving recently from postfix+courier.

> My goal for this is a web-based mail client for the mail accounts on
> my server, leaning towards roundcube.

We have two production webmail front ends: squirrelmail and IMP.
We've been playing with roundcube some but don't support it yet.

> I don't think I need remote
> access to the IMAP service; it could probably live on loopback.  With
> this configuration (roundcube running on the same server that has the
> mailboxes) do I even need IMAP?

Maybe you'd want to allow your users to use IMAP clients? Maybe you'd want
to eventually split the webmail server and the IMAP storage server? Maybe
you'll want to use perdition to proxy requests between servers? Those are
all reasons we us it.

--
Matt Taggart
matt at lackof.org