[NCLUG] OT(ish) - HVAC Control

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 08:54:10 MDT 2013

I need to get a new thermostat in my house, and I'd like something that is
wifi and/or zigbee enabled so I can do some home automation-ish
experimentation with it. One problem I've noticed though is that all the
wifi ones I've looked at require you to sign up with a thirdparty that the
thermostat talks to over the Internet to allow all the gee-whiz features.
I'm not thrilled with that from a security standpoint, and while the
service is often currently free, all the TOS I've read specifically mention
that they may charge for it in the future, rendering the extra features I
paid for useless if I don't pony up some service fee.

SO

Does anyone have any suggestions for thermostats that are either a) wifi
enabled and play nicely on a local network w/o needing an external service
or b) are zigbee (or similar standard ad-hoc wireless network) enabled and
play nicely with a Linux-based controller?

Thanks!

QH