[NCLUG] Help w/udev rules

Zak Smith zak at computer.org
Wed Sep 25 20:48:01 MDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 03:53:00PM -0600, Andrew Gilmore wrote:
> That way, although the system knows the device by /dev/sdf right now, I can
> also eject  /dev/rda and get the right bay to eject, no matter what
> cartridge is in the bay. I can also mkfs /dev/rdxa1 and know I'm not
> blowing away my current backups (after kpartx -a).

Another option may be to use /dev/disk/by-id, depending on the
application.

I find this handy because the symlink names in this directory
correspond to the serial numbers printed on the hard drives.  You can
also get access to the partitions through this directory.

--
# Zak Smith    mobile 970-232-4468