[NCLUG] Local Availability

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 21:40:13 MDT 2014

Hi Michael! Haven't heard from you in a long time, last time was the
Sustainable Living Fair a couple years ago..
(I'm one of the crazy wind power people).

I rely on netbooks because of their small size and weight, and cheap
price....I use them for working on data loggers and doing my job in
extremely remote areas, and am often hauling them around by helicopter,
whitewater raft, backpacking etc. It's brutal on electronics and I've
zorched thru a few.

Netbooks are getting really hard to find these days.....everyone in town
wants to sell you a small high-performance one for $800-$2k. I need cheap
and semi-disposable. I suggest buying online, and install Linux
yourself....there are many options online. Mine have all been ASUS
recently.  I'm using Linux Mint and quite happy with it; even Windoze 7
-trained field techs hardly notice it's Linux. I almost got a
Chromebook-type last year to hack back to Linux, but was not confident I
could pull of the hack in time for the wind power class I had to teach.
Still might try it.

Good luck. Most of the time now when I travel, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy
S4 Android phone with bluetooth keyboard--my pico-computer. But it can't
read those data loggers and Linux can.

Best regards;

Dan Fink,
Executive Director;
Otherpower
Buckville Energy Consulting
Buckville Publications LLC
NABCEP / IREC accredited Continuing Education Providers
970.672.4342