[NCLUG] DVD player/media library

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Feb 25 21:32:02 MST 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-25 at 10:25 -0700, Andrew Gilmore wrote:

> I've been experimenting with PLEX media server/home theater. There are up
> to date RPMs available at least for the home theater portion, and the media
> server looks pretty mature.
>
> Cons:
> I'm not crazy about it's emphasis on transcoding and CPU hogging :(

I second that.

I have a Samsung SmartTV that is capable of reading directly from an
attached USB hard drive in a dozen or so formats wonderfully.

It has integrated PLEX and DLNA clients but I haven't found a
combination of client and server that simply reads the data from a
server (instead of a disk) and plays back as well as a disk.  Very
frustrating.

> Anyway, this is one of those projects that comes and goes in priority.

Same here..

--
Maxwell Spangler