[NCLUG] DVD player/media library

Andrew Gilmore agilmore2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 10:25:11 MST 2014

John,

I've been experimenting with PLEX media server/home theater. There are up
to date RPMs available at least for the home theater portion, and the media
server looks pretty mature.

Cons:
I'm not crazy about it's emphasis on transcoding and CPU hogging :(
the log files are present, but fairly opaque.
The media matching picked some shows that were a bit off...
You Tube channel doesn't seem to work yet
not open source, as far as I can tell
Android app is for pay, unless you subscribe
No Wii channel (hey, I can dream, right?)

Pros:
On screen interface seemed solid once I got used to it.
Handbrake writes files and subtitles that work well.
Music/Movie/TV Show/Home Movie split of media works pretty well.
Watches media directories

Anyway, this is one of those projects that comes and goes in priority.

Andrew :)