[NCLUG] Tuesday July 10th, 2018 NCLUG Meeting

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Jul 10 19:21:18 MDT 2018

> What: Tuesday July 10th, 2018 NCLUG Meeting
> When: Tuesday July 10th, 2018, 6pm
> Where: Fort Collins Creator Hub,
>   1304 Duff Dr Unit 15, Fort Collins, CO; map:

James opened the meeting with a discussion of the heat of our current
weather.  It's hot.  It's hot outside.  It's hot in the meeting space.
All were in agreement.

Originally Bob wasn't going to be at the meeting but then returned
from the Detroit trip a day early and so was in attendance.  Stephen
says he won't be in attendance at the meeting next month.

Aaron then gave an extemporaneous discussion of "Storage" focused on
Cephs.  Cephs is a hot new distributed storage and file system that is
taking the storage world by storm.  I don't know it at all and
therefore I can only report what I know.  The system sounds like it is
a RAID-like reliable by replication storage system.  It seems very
cool.

  https://ceph.com/

Much of the discussion was on planning for the next meeting where we
would bring a collection of hardware and it would be a hands on lab
building our own cephs cluster.  We are going to bring a Frankenstein
of hardware and Aaron will lead us through building a cephs cluster.
Sounds like fun.  I plan on bringing some Frankenstein hardware and
participating.

Alex then teased us with descriptions of his recent explorations using
'perf'.  Once again a topic that makes me want to go off and use it
immediately.

The meeting group voted to adjourn to The New Panhandler's Pizza.