[NCLUG] Tuesday June 11th, 2019 NCLUG Meeting

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Jun 11 19:38:44 MDT 2019

jdewitt at verinet.com wrote:
> What: Tuesday June 11th, 2019 NCLUG Meeting
> When: Tuesday June 11th, 2019, 6pm
> Where: Fort Collins Creator Hub,
>   1304 Duff Dr Unit 15, Fort Collins, CO; map:

The meeting opened with a rousing discussion about how to maintain a
growing collection of Raspberry Pi systems used as IoT devices.  Fun!

Discussion of the plethora of system processes that exist on a system.
What processes might be pruned off.  What processes are associated
with what other things.

Bill gave a talk about TLA+.  TLA+ is a formal specification language
developed by Leslie Lamport.  It is used to design, model, document,
and verify concurrent systems.  It is a formal specification language.
It is used to design, model, document, and verify concurrent systems.
It describes your system and the properties you want.  Not only can
you check your code but you can check your design too.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLA%2B

  https://lamport.azurewebsites.net/tla/book-02-08-08.pdf
  Specifying Systems, by Leslie Lamport

Then discussion of the most recent Vim security patch.  WAT?!  A
security patch for Vim?  Apparently so!

Arduino!  Wisdom was that buying a kit with a lot of included sensors
is much more cost effective than buying a large collection of sensors
individually.

Ngrok, a public vpn-like tunnel service.  Both free tiers and paid tiers.

  Public URLs (for SSH access to your Raspberry Pi
              |for demoing your own machine
	      |for exposing your local web server)
  https://ngrok.com/

IPv4 versus IPv6!

Jitsi!  We have talked about it before but it is a definitely worth
another look.

  https://jitsi.org/

Then the meeting adjourned to Red Truck Brewing for dinner.