[NCLUG] Dual Booting Linux on a laptop with UEFI

David E. Auter david.auter at ca-quartercircle.com
Thu Jan 9 09:53:55 MST 2020

Bob Proulx mentioned the problem may be caused by a move to
systemd-boot. It may, but I doubt this as Mint lags Ubuntu and at least
as of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS they were still using GRUB.

Evelyn Mitchell mentioned switching to legacy BIOS. I don't believe that
is necessary anymore as the Ubuntu/Mint installers now support UEFI.

One suggestion I saw from someone that encountered this issue was to run
the administrator prompt in Windows 10 and enter the command:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

That solved the issue for them. Other links I found mentioned
reinstalling GRUB. A number of forums I found mentioned this solution.