[NCLUG] Dual Booting Linux on a laptop with UEFI

Garrett Burton ogburton at ogburton.com
Sat Jan 11 08:39:21 MST 2020

Rather than dual booting, I solve this problem at work by running Linux as a virtual machine on my Windows box using Oracle VirtualBox.  You give up a little performance and karma on the Linux side of things, but most Microsoft Office applications are now cloud based and I've seen no indication that they benefit from additional cores.VirtualBox Guest Additions for Linux is included in the Windows installer--this is not clear from the documentation. You have to hunt around a bit in the installation directory to install them to your Linux instance, but mouse integration is seamless and the clipboard can be setup for bidirectional use.  You can share folders between systems and this makes things feel fully integrated.Setting the network to NAT will get you out to the world.  3d video acceleration is good enough to run Blender3d if your graphics card can handle it.I assign half of the cores and RAM to the virtual machine and run CentOS with KDE side-by-side with Windows without the hassle of dual booting.  A 30GB partition is usually enough for most applications and fixed length rather than dynamic allocation seems to be better in terms of speed on Windows hosts.Presently I'm re-engineering a complex multi-platform environment and having both operating systems available simultaneously makes my life much easier.  I run a dual headed system and keep Windows on my left monitor and Linux on the right monitor.                                                                                                                                                                    Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Tab® S

🐧🐧🐧