Tuesday December 14th, 2021 NCLUG Meeting

Brian Sturgill brian.sturgill at ataman.com
Sun Dec 19 11:23:41 MST 2021

Ok, inspired by Stephen's add a PDF signature via Scribus, I decided to
look for an easier way.
It's kind of sad really, on MacOS, you just use the PDF "Preview" program
to do all of this...
Anyway, I think I found options that work easier than Scribus (which had an
awkward interface for editing).

To fill in a PDF form, use "evince". It just works.
I tried on the IRS's W-9 PDF and it worked great.
That PDF has two spots without "Form Fields"... Signature and Date.
To fill those out, the easiest option I found is "xournal".
It lets you easily edit on top of PDFs.
I made the signature using "inkscape"... just save the SVG... "xournal"
supports SVG.
You can use the Text tool in "xournal" to fill in the Date field.

Not perfect, but the tools are a lot less clumsy than Scribus.
Alas, I could not find a tool which allowed you to do both forms and add
images.

Both "evince" and "xournal" are available from the ubuntu archives.

Brian

--
Brian Sturgill
President and CTO