We have missed "celebrating" a milestone during the pandemic.

Brian Sturgill bsturgill at ataman.com
Wed Dec 29 15:24:21 MST 2021

In May, Gnu Hurd celebrated its 30th pre-birthday.
It is currently version 0.9 (i.e. still not released). The most recent beta
was in 2018.

>From the GNU Hurd Website:
https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/what_is_the_gnu_hurd.html

"The Hurd is the GNU project's replacement for UNIX, a popular operating
system kernel."

This led me to wonder if they had failed to ship before the "evil"
commercial UNIX went extinct?
Well it turns out there is one (and very likely only one) shipping version
of commercial Unix,
AIX, IBM's Unix variant, which shipped it's version 7.3 -- 18 days ago!
Notably the 7.3 kernel can be replaced _LIVE_. I.E. a kernel change can
occur on a running system without rebooting. No doubt this will force a
complete redesign of the Hurd kernel [redesign #1,323,458, though I might
have missed a few :-)] in order to be able to compete with AIX.

--

Brian