Tuesday September 14th, 2021 NCLUG Meeting

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Sep 21 20:17:35 MDT 2021

j dewitt wrote:
> What: Tuesday September 14th, 2021 NCLUG Meeting

Tonight's meeting (a week ago) was Short Topics.  The pandemic and
long gap in regular meetings has definitely taken a toll of our being
very organized.  But it was good to see everyone in the flesh again.

Bob connected to the projector and gave a status update on the current
state and hosting of nclug.org domain.  This includes our basic web
site, the mailing lists (this one), and so forth.  Things were moved
from Tummy's servers to a local machine in a rented office in the
Remax building.  And so we continue on.

Things are pretty much now exactly as they were.  At least initially.
Mailman 2 running on Python 2.  Which is a little bit of an upgrade
issue as the newer OS version drops Python 2 support.  I'll deal with
that at some point.

The web site content has not changed significantly but the web site
protocols were updated.  Let's Encrypt certificates enable https
protocol.  This required some small tweaks to avoid mixed http https
content.  This should avoid the problem of web clients connecting and
being blocked for "insecure" http protocols.  It's baby steps.

Then we changed our attention to a problem Eric asked the group about.
A system at Hetzner with a floating IP address assigned to it and the
problems of configuring the system to deal with it.  Several of us
rotated through trying various things but honestly it was a stumper
for us.  Fun problem to try to work through though.

And then after that we moved to the outside patio of Slyce pizza for
dinner and fun continued conversation.