Why I am starting to hate Linux.

Craig Talbert craig.talbert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 18:05:55 MDT 2022

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 4:45 PM David E. Auter via NCLUG <nclug at nclug.org>
wrote:

> There are already several of us looking at FreeBSD so join us if you are
> up for it.

I love Linux, but would also love to see FreeBSD make a comeback.

In the early 2000s, I would commonly hear people say things like “Linux is
for people who hate Microsoft, FreeBSD is for people who like Unix.”
There’s still some truth to that, though it’s changed somewhat with
Microsoft becoming more FOSS- and Linux-friendly.

For me now, while you will always encounter technical frustrations with
computing, when it comes to day-to-day personal and work-related computing
(the machine I’m in front of, not whatever I’m connecting to) it’s what
scores the best on the “bicycle for your brain” philosophy—what removes the
most nonsense and allows me to get work done. Of course, this varies based
on person and on tasks at hand.

It’s also different from what I would now call “Montessori computing” … or
what people used to just call hacking (for which the mainstream connotation
is now irredeemable)—playing with software and doing something fun,
allowing yourself to be curious without thinking much about practical
applications. That’s where you can appreciate something like Terry Davis’
development work (NSFW if you search this)…and I’m just talking about his
development work here.

Keep in mind Alan Kay’s observation, people learn Linux and think they’re
learning about computing. But they’re really just getting a higher
resolution perspective of a tiny sliver on a vast canvas of everything
computing is and could be.
https://youtu.be/rmsIZUuBoQs

… it’s true, it’s popular sliver that you can make a career out of, but who
knows what else on the canvas could generate wealth and improve human
flourishing?

- Craig