How to adjust to google notice about you may lose access to some of your third-party apps

MikePruz mi-linux at pruz.org
Fri Mar 4 13:59:28 MST 2022

NCLUG,

Does anyone understand the google change referenced below and what if anything needs to be done in advance to avoid interruption of service?

Specifically, in my case, I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS, with esmtp 1.2-17 and fetchmail 6.4.2-2, with standard username and password access (which requires less secure apps enabled in my gmail account).  At tis time, I only care about being able to sent and receive my gmail email from mutt (1.13.2-1ubuntu0.4) and claws-mail (3.17.5-2).  I saw one reference that suggested I would need to setup oauth 2.0 with some type of key, but couldn't find anything useful for me including how to get the key from google.

I used to be a Linux expert working on kernel internals, modules, drivers, and debugging and enhancing applications packages, but haven't rebuilt a kernel or an application in over a decade.  A lot has changed.  I can probably figure a lot out by myself, but this is all new to me and I at least need some one to point me in the right direction.  I'd hope there would already a good web reference out there.

Let me know if you need more details to be of assistance.

Michael "MikePruz" Pruznick

REFERENCE:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

Less secure apps & your Google Account

To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, ​​Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

Please note this deadline does not apply to Google Workspace or Google Cloud Identity customers. The enforcement date for these customers will be announced on the Workspace blog at a later date.

Special Note on Apple Device Sign-Ins. Users who have not recently signed into their Google Account using only username and password will be able to only make new sign in attempts using the Google account type starting from February 28, 2022. Existing users may continue to sign into their Google Account using their username and password until May 30, 2022.

If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.