Ethernet-layer NAT (userspace queueing for ebtables)?

Gabriel Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 16:31:29 UTC 2023

On Sun, Apr 02, 2023 at 07:26:04AM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Did you look into Proxy ARP as a solution?

Yeah. If my container's mac address is *not* a clone of the
outside-facing host-VM interface mac, then having it offer its own mac
address as response for arp requests won't help.

If it *does* clone the publicly-visible mac, then the (outer) bridge
will drop inbound traffic from the outside targeted at that mac
(because of the permanent fdb entry).

I don't think proxy arp can be configured to offer up someone *else's*
mac address in reply to a "who-has" broadcast request. If I'm wrong
about that one, there might be something worth following up here :)

Thanks again,
--Gabriel