Fort Collins Connexion comments for home servers?

Stephen Warren swarren-tag-list-nclug at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Feb 17 23:09:39 UTC 2023

On 2/17/23 09:44, blc wrote:
> I don't know why I didn't think of this mailing list but after reading
> the last summary, this is the perfect place!
>
> With the recent huge increases in my dollars per month DSL bill that's
> now woefully inadequate in the MB/sec department at least here in Fort
> Collins (Centurylink -- and saying MB/sec is being very generous to what
> I'm getting) I've been looking at Connexion... however as I run a
> (Gentoo) Linux personal mail/web/general use server at home I've been
> wondering about what it would take to change ISPs.
> Anyone very familiar with Connexion and how their network is supplied to
> the home premises?  Are IP addresses assigned to their router or can it
> be bridged to ones own routers/machines?

I have Comcast, but that's not relevant to this suggestion. My static
IPs are on a linode.com VM. There's an OpenVPN connection between my
home server and my Linode server. The Linode server NATs the static IPs
over the VPN connection to my home server. This requires nothing special
from the ISP, although is slightly more complexity, latency, and cost
(for the Linode, but I have it anyway).