question on resetting BMC for IPMI access

Phil Marsh microcraftx at gmail.com
Fri May 3 23:36:57 UTC 2024

Hi,
I just got a 4-node server a Gigabyte H261-Z61 2U server and I'm wondering
if any of you have ideas as to how to reset the BMC username and password.
The defaults aren't working. I tried downloading the BMC reset tool from
Gigabyte but to get the command to work, one has to have a valid
mac2password.txt file. I have the MAC addresses but there is an associated
password that the documentation claims you have to get from Gigabyte. I
left a message for them, but since this was bought on ebay and is from
2018, I'm not holding much hope that they'll have the information.
Is there a way to run ipmitool on this machine after I install Linux and if
so, will it allow me to change the BMC credentials?
Thanks and best,
Phil