SPAM Assassin

Stephen Warren swarren-tag-list-nclug at wwwdotorg.org
Fri May 10 17:05:54 UTC 2024

On 5/10/24 09:21, Michael D Wailes wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a question about SPAM Assassin and hoping maybe I can find some
> help here.
> My inbox is getting bombed with SPAM right now -- so bad that I've had
> to set the SPAM Assassin Threshold Score to 1 and am still getting 40-60
> emails a day that are slipping through.
> I've attempted to also blacklist the domains that are consistently
> sneaking through but don't think I have those set correctly. I'm hoping
> someone here can offer some insight.

Are you putting all the spam into a folder and training Spam Assassin on it?

I have this:

crontab:

11  0 * * * /home/swarren/cron_scripts/silent_if_ok.sh \
     /home/swarren/cron_scripts/email/train-sa.sh 2>&1

(line split just for email; I don't think crontab supports that)

Which runs this script:

swarren at avon:~$ cat /home/swarren/cron_scripts/email/train-sa.sh
#!/bin/sh

trash=~/Maildir/.Trash
spam=~/Maildir/.SPAM
latest_archive=`ls -d ~/Maildir/.Ar*|grep -P '\.\d{4}\.\d{2}$'|\
     sort|tail -1 2> /dev/null`

dirs_ham="${trash} ${latest_archive}"
dirs_spam="${spam}"

for dir in ${dirs_ham}; do