[NCLUG] SGI-Like OpenGL Program Launcher?

marciot marciot at holly.colostate.edu
Thu Nov 7 16:08:33 MST 2002

Hey, this is a little off topic, but I remeber SGI systems
had a cool OpenGL program launcher. I'm trying to find out
1) what it was called, and 2) whether someone has ported it
to Linux.

It was a hierarchical menu that was made up of several
beveled tiles. Each time you clicked on one, it would fly
out at you and spin around to take up the whole screen.
Each tile had other tiles on it's back, so you would
navigate a menu of options that way. Eventually,when you
clicked on a leaf tile, it would launch some program. This
menu was pretty cool because it was totally customizable
and was great eye candy (it gave a nice "hollywood-style"
GUI effect).

Right now I'm using Ion (a full-screen window manager) on
my laptop and my only complaint about it is that it doesn't
have a launcher of any sort. I'ld love to use something
like the SGI launcher since it fits in to the full-screen
paradigm pretty well. Any ideas on where I might find something
like it, or will I have to write my own?

Marcio Luis Teixeira