[NCLUG] XFree86 4.1.0 slow compared to 3.3.6?

Sean Reifschneider jafo-nclug at tummy.com
Thu Nov 22 08:25:36 MST 2001

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 12:27:38AM -0700, Tkil wrote:
>(i use fvwm2, so i just move an outline -- but the repainting of the
>window in the new location is noticably slow) are both much slower.

How about going back to XFree 3.3.6?  I had the same problem on my old
laptop with XFree 4.0.1, and had to go with 3.3.6 for any reasonable
performance.  It also seemed that 4.1.0 was unhappy on my laptop, so I went
back to 3.3.6 for it as well.

My previous laptop (the 1400x1050 one that I dumped so quickly) was the
only one that the latest drivers worked best on.  It had major issues, but
fewer issues with the latest version.

XFree v4 has some really nice stuff, but I think they're still working on
getting it back to the stability and performance of 3.3.6.

 You know you're in Canada when:  You see a flyer advertising a polka-fest
 at the curling rink.