[NCLUG] XFree86 4.1.0 slow compared to 3.3.6?

dmiles dmiles at holly.colostate.edu
Thu Nov 22 10:03:56 MST 2001

check your /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see if anything failed. Check to see that you're running the correct driver for your video card (for example I have to run TDFX for my voodoo3 card). If you are indeed running the wrong thing, the settings can be changed in /etc/XF86Config-4. You could also try to update your kernel to one that doesn't have a horrible memory leak (I really like 2.4.13).

To my knowledge X3 was happier with generic settings than 4 because 4 has some video stuff that's pretty cool, if you get 4 running you'll shudder when somebody suggests you go back to 3