[NCLUG] Fw: How to log into CPanel securely (Progress Update)

Tom Thompson tomyval at verinet.com
Wed Oct 10 15:42:36 MDT 2001

Hi all,
 I had a quick question about ports and secure ports.
I have a web host that has a control panel application that you log into
without using a SSL link. I asked the sys admin if such a link was available
and they informed me with this statement that it wasn't.

> the Control Panel is not available via a SSL connection. If you would like
to use SSL with your site the url would be
https://somehost/~someuser/file.html

Which I then asked how they could ask people to setup email accounts and
passwords, MySql database's and password, change your login password etc
without a secure connection. and they sent me this response.

> Hi Tom,
> the Control Panel is secure, it installed on Port 2082 which is only via
username/password. No activity that takes place within the control panel can
be monitored by anyone unless they can actually access your Control Panel.

Is this truly secure? I always thought you had do do encryption stuff  on
447 to not have things picked up on the net??

Tom Thompson
tomyval at verinet.com

PS: if this isn't the right forum just let me know. don't fry me okay?