[NCLUG] Re: Backspace

Rich Young rich at republicoftech.com
Sun Feb 17 06:56:23 MST 2002

On Sunday 17 February 2002 00:47, Gabriel L Somlo wrote:
>Try 'stty sane', this is what usually works for me...
>
> Gabriel

Sadly, this didn't seem to do anything for me.  But at least it didn't screw
things up royally, like some other ideas I've tried.

I have noticed that backspace performs a delete, and delete performs a delete
too, in X.  But in the console, backspace does nothing (well, it beeps....)
and delete still deletes.  I found some discussion of this online, but the
keyboard files are not where the online docs suggest that they should be
(they're talking about Redhat of an unspecified version, probably pre-7.0,
and I'm running KRUD 7.2).

Right now, I figure I'll spend some more time looking online for solutions.
I definitely haven't tapped that resource fully yet.  But if anyone has some
clues for me, I'll be grateful.  Fixing this will be a big part of getting my
wife comfortable with linux instead of windows (about which, see my pending
email on making linux work for non-techies).

Thanks,
--Rich